Admissions Requirements for the Program
- A Bachelor’s degree in French, Spanish, or a related field
- Official transcripts from all credit-bearing university coursework (undergraduate and graduate), sent directly from the university to the Graduate School
- Three letters of recommendation submitted online via email
- A French or Spanish writing sample of at least 5-7 pages
- A French or Spanish speaking sample (please contact the graduate program director regarding the format of this sample)
- Recent GRE scores (no more than 5 years old). The GRE requirement is waived for qualified students who meet any of the following criteria:
- Successful completion of 3 graduate-level courses at Appalachian as a non-degree-seeking student (see below)
- Advanced-High proficiency in Spanish, as measured by an official ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview or through an oral interview with one of our professors
- 5 years of language teaching experience, or other work experience directly related to use of the language you wish to study (e.g. work in interpretation or translation)
- Students wishing to waive the GRE requirement based on language proficiency or work experience should fill out an Entrance Exam Waiver and consult with the graduate program director about their options.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and students may start the program at any time, including summer sessions.
Application Deadlines for Degree-seeking Students*
- For Spring Semester: November 1
- For Summer Sessions 1 & 2: April 1
- For Summer Institute: May 1
- For Fall Admission: July 1
*Note: If you can not meet these deadlines, it may be possible to enroll as a non-degree-seeking student.
Starting as a Non-degree-seeking Student
The non-degree-seeking application does not require GRE scores or letters of recommendations. Official transcripts of all credit-bearing university study are required.
Non-degree-seeking applications must be completed two weeks before the first day of classes (firm deadline). Please refer to the FAQs for more information on taking courses as a non-degree-seeking student.
If you’re ready to apply to the program, you may start the online process at:
More Questions? Contact the Program Director, Dr. Catherine Fountain, email@example.com, (828) 262-2308.